FileOpen DRM for Protecting Intellectual Property
The risk of intellectual property loss comes not only from internet hacking attacks, but also from lost or stolen laptops, removable media, email, collaboration tools and social media. The unintentional or unauthorized distribution of confidential customer data, financial records, trade secrets, product specifications and other IP documents can lead to lost revenue, inability to compete, and worse. FileOpen's rights management solutions can help protect your organization's intellectual property by ensuring that only those users you specify can view and print your documents.
A technology startup realized it was time to implement a document protection plan when their chief engineer’s laptop was stolen at the airport. That laptop contained schematics for an unreleased product which represented years of research and development. To prevent a similar breach, the company chose FileOpen RightsManager™ to encrypt all their internal documents by default. Using RightsManager, they established group-based access policies so that employees could continue to work normally with the documents they need.
The Solution: FileOpen RightsManager
- Secure documents with local encryption and storage
- Edit or revoke permissions at any time — even after delivery
- Expire document access by date, term or usage
- Secure documents in commonly used formats (PDF, Word®, Excel®, PPT)
- View protected documents without plug-ins or client software*
- Report on document and user activity
- Integrate into cloud-based storage such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive™, and more.
*Available with FileOpen Viewer™
|Expiration by Usage
Documents expire after a certain number of opens/ prints.
|Expiration by Term/Time
Documents expire after a certain term or specified date.
Watermark documents with user identifying information (view/print).
Prevent printing of a physical copy or conversion into another format.
|Copy & Save Control
Stop copying or saving (of file and of contents)
Track user and document activity / history.
Enable secure offline viewing for time-limited periods (airplanes, trains, etc).
Prevents users from capturing screenshots.
FileOpen RightsManager™: An on-premise client/server solution with the added benefit of cloud-based policy management and user authentication.
FileOpen RightsServer™: An on-premise deployment that allows businesses to encrypt documents and authenticate users on their own server or intranet.
FileOpen Developer Toolkit: Develop your own authentication layer and administration console leveraging the FileOpen encryptor module, client extensions and example code.
Supported Formats and Viewers
FileOpen Plug-in for Adobe Acrobat® and Reader®: Displays secured native PDF documents in the free Adobe Reader. Versions available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
FileOpen Viewer™: Displays secure documents in any Web browser without need for a download or installation. Requires a web browser running Flash Player 9 or later.
FileOpen Client for Microsoft Office®: Displays secure documents via an add-in to Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint.
FileOpen Viewer for iPad® & iPhone®: Displays secure documents via the FileOpen Viewer app for iOS, available through the Apple App Store. Requires iOS 4 or higher.
Whitepapers & Articles:
- DRM for Data Loss Prevention
- What is DRM for Documents?
- FileOpen for Enterprise Rights Management (ERM)
Understanding IP: Related Websites
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- International IP Advisory Program
- US Trade Representative's Office of Intellectual Property and Innovation (IPN)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- International Intellectual Property Institute (IIPI)